Q1. What if I give my Driver’s Licence and insurance information to the other driver and he or she loses it and later claims I did not provide the information. Will I be charged with failing to provide the information?
A. Laying a charge is at the discretion of a police officer who is required to prove the charge with supporting evidence. However, if you also report the collision at the location identified to you by the police as soon as possible, or when directed by the police, you would have shown responsibility and would not likely be charged.
Q2. What if I don’t know the cost of the damage to my vehicle at the time of the collision?
A. There are no official guidelines for determining the total cost of damage to all vehicles or property at the time of a collision. Where the motorist is uncertain whether the cost of damage exceeds $1000, it is recommended he or she reports the collision.
Q3. Is there a time period I have to report the collision to the police or to go to a collision reporting centre?
A. You should report to the police as soon as possible, or when directed by the police. At that time you will be informed about the reporting procedures for the police in that area, including the time frame to report to the location specified by the police officer(s).
Q4. Will the police still come to investigate my collision, even if no one was hurt? What if I want them there to witness the condition of my car or the position of the vehicles involved in the collision?
A. With property damage collisions, it should not be necessary for a police officer to note the on-scene condition of your car or its position on the road. Legislated rules for no-fault and fault determination do not require confirmation from a police officer. Your vehicle condition and damage will be inspected and noted by a police officer at the reporting centre or police station. When reporting the collision, you should state your concerns and you will be informed as to what policy is in place for the police in that jurisdiction.
Q5. How will I know where to report the collision?
A. Phone the police whenever a collision occurs. Advise them of all important information about the collision, such as injuries and driver condition if impairment is suspected. You will be directed where to go so the report on the collision can be completed or if you should stay at the scene of the collision and wait for a police officer to attend.
Q6. What if I live in a location where there are no alternative methods of reporting a collision?
A. When reporting to police, they will inform you of exactly what your options are in terms of reporting the collision.
Q7. What if I live in a different city than where the collision occurred?
A. Contact the police service in the jurisdiction where the collision occurred. They will advise you of the policy in place to deal with this issue.
Q8. What should I do with my vehicle after a collision occurs? If I’m in the middle of the road, should I try to move it to the side, or do the police need to see my car in the exact position when the collision occurred?
A. If the vehicles can be safely moved and there are no injuries or fatalities involved, remove the vehicles from the flow of traffic and contact the local police service for instructions on how to proceed.
Q9. What if I don’t have a cell phone or any access to a phone to contact the police at the time of the collision?
A. Exchange information as required with the other driver(s) involved in the collision and proceed to a location where you can contact the police.
Q10. Can all collisions be self-reported?
 A. Collisions involving property damage only, where the total cost of damage to all vehicles exceeds $1000, can be self-reported. Police will attend all collisions involving: injuries or fatalities; damage to public property; hazardous or dangerous goods; where there is a possibility the driver is impaired, or where circumstances warrant police attendance.
Q11. What is a collision reconstruction and what are the fees associated with one?
 A. A collision reconstruction is a complex investigation into the circumstances surrounding a collision.  Officers collect and analyze evidence such as tire marks and debris in order to ascertain what the vehicles were doing pre-impact, during impact and post-impact.

Different items can be requested during a collision reconstruction.
The fees for these items are as follows:
Ministry of Transportation Collision report                      $48 + HST
Reconstruction report (includes Crash Data Record) $2000 + HST
Scale Diagram                                                          $1000 + HST
Scene Measurements                                                  $300 +HST
Total (if all purchased)                                           $3348 + HST