What treatments am I covered for?
As a driver or passenger of a car that was involved in a car accident you have coverage for multiple treatments and benefits covered by your insurance company. Those benefits include:
- Treatments and Medical Rehabilitation
- Income Replacement Benefits
- Care giver Benefits
- Non Earner Benefits
- Attendant Care Benefits
- Funeral expenses support if needed
When applying for medical benefits few things to remember:
- Regardless if you are at fault or not, if you have insurance you are covered for medical treatment
- You have 7 days to notify your insurance company of your injuries
- Standardized Lawyers’ practice in Toronto for lawyers is “no win no fee”
- Eventually if you don’t get better insurance will offer you settlement to stop costing them money in treatments and will try to settle on an amount based on your future treatments requirements in One payment. An agreed % of that amount will cover the lawyer’s fees and rehabilitation outstanding if any
What Treatments will I get at the Rehabilitation clinic?
The rehabilitation clinic will provide you with medical treatments depending on your injuries and on the type of file category you are in. There are 3 types of categories and they all have different money allowance:
- MIG (minor injury guideline) $3,500.00
- Non MIG up to $50,000.00
- Catastrophic injuries up to $1,000,000.00
The treatment will include:
- Chiropractic adjustments
- Massage treatment by RMT
- Water massage therapy (in selected clinic)
- Psychotherapy and hypnosis
- Soft tissue therapy
- Therapeutic exercise
- Postural education
How much will the lawyer cost me?
The accident injury lawyer will cost you anywhere from 15%-30% depends on your case and what you initially agree on. Most injury lawyers in Ontario have a standardized practice of “No Win, No Fee” meaning if the lawyer don’t get you settlement money from the insurance company for your injuries they won’t charge you anything. This is with an exception, if you change your lawyer during the case he originally started, there might be some charges involved for the work done based on its progress and hours.
Will My Insurance go Up?
Your insurance will not go up as a result of you making an injury claim.
FSCO Regulates Insurance companies and make sure your insurance
will not go up because you need medical assistance as a result of your accident.
To find out more read This Article
When will I receive money?
The settlement funds will be given to you by your insurance company in case where you condition don’t get better, or get better but not fast enough. You will attend your treatments and follow your lawyers instructions and if after 8 to 24 months your physical conditions shows no improvements or not enough recovery within given time, your insurance will most likely offer you a settlement for your future treatments in exchange for you to remove the treatments liability from the insurance company. The Settlement amount depends on the weight of your injuries and the price of treatment for those injuries. The higher the price for treatments you require the higher the settlement.
How will I receive the money?
The money will be send or delivered by means of a cheque to your lawyer’s firm or to you, depends on the instruction your insurance company is provided. From that amount your lawyer will deducted his fees (15% -30%) and taxes (13% of the 15%-30% only) and will provide you a cheque for the rest of the amount (70%-85%).
On our “Avoid Costly Mistakes” you will find out more detailed information’s and links to the FCO Forms.
*Important: as off January 2018 Aviva insurance medical claims don’t get settled for minor injuries. So far its only Aviva and only for minor Injury Claims.